Booze, Weed & Football Helped Jake Roberts Decide On His Ring Name
A mixture of booze, weed, and football helped Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts come up with his ring name, the WWE Hall of Famer has revealed.
On a recent edition of the “Wrestle Binge” podcast, Roberts, real name Aurelian Smith Jr. shared how his ring name came together. He said,
“I was Jake the Snake long before I came to the WWE. I came up with it, yeah. I was drinking beer and smoking pot, and it was a long road trip. We were listening to Monday Night Football and they were talking about Kenny Stabler, the old quarterback for the Oakland Raiders, and they called him The Snake.
“As I was smoking that weed, I’m like, ‘Man, there needs to be a wrestler called The Snake. He could freak people out, man, with a snake. Yeah, he could put it on them, man, yeah,’ and kept smoking. So I came up with the snake thing, Jake the Snake – it rhymed.”
Roberts had two in-ring runs with WWE, the first being from 1986 to 1992 and the second from 1996 to 1997. He currently appears for AEW as Lance Archer’s manager.
The post Booze, Weed & Football Helped Jake Roberts Decide On His Ring Name appeared first on eWrestlingNews.com.
from eWrestlingNews.com https://ift.tt/pAKcVYn https://ift.tt/KBCTc7z
via wwe
No comments